You have probably seen tons of information on the health benefits found in organic coconut oil. Some of them are obviously gross exaggerations, but there is some truth to the claims and it has some uses you may not have thought of.
- Organic coconut oil is nothing like the hydrogenated coconut oils in the past. It contains lauric acid which the body turns into monolaurin. Monolaurin enhances the ability of the body to deal with various harmful microbes that cause illness.
- Because it turns to a liquid when it gets warm, it makes fantastic massage oil. The light scent of coconut is pleasant and your skin is soft and moisturized when the massage is over.
- Coconut oil can be used as a lube during sex. It stays slippery, doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t get sticky, and the antimicrobial qualities help guard against yeast infections. Like any oil, you should refrain from using coconut oil if you are using condoms.
- A tablespoon a day will help your body absorb fat soluble vitamins.
Skin and Beauty Benefits
- Coconut oil makes a great leave-in conditioner when a tiny bit is massaged in to your hair and scalp after shampooing.
- It removes makeup and leaves your skin moisturized and glowing. It also helps to stave off fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin. I know this from experience Ã¢â‚¬â€œ I love it as both a makeup remover and moisturizer.
- Moms and moms-to-be will find that it is soothing and healing on cracked nipples and helps defeat stretch marks.
- It can be used as a soothing, healing balm for diaper rash and cradle cap.
- Rub it into cracked heels, rough knees, and scaly elbows.
- When your child gets bubble gum in her hair, take a little coconut oil and rub it into the knot. Leave it on for thirty minutes and then carefully pull the gum out.
Cooking and Household Uses
Imagine that Ã¢â‚¬â€œ you can even cook with it.
- Organic virgin coconut oil wonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t break down at high temperatures, making it a great choice for frying and roasting.
- Use cold coconut oil like butter in your baking and other recipes. It is a great, vegan alternative to butter Ã¢â‚¬â€œ and much healthier than margarine.
- Add a tablespoon of it to a smoothie and blend well. It will enhance the flavor and give it a smoother texture Ã¢â‚¬â€œ more like a milkshake.
- Rub coconut oil into your hands before chopping onions; when you wash the coconut oil off, the onion smell with be gone, too.
- You can clean and moisturize leather products by rubbing coconut oil into them and using a soft cloth to polish.
- Use it to clean rusty knives or scissors by rubbing coconut oil into them and leaving it on for an hour. Rinse it off and the blades will be clean.
It is important that you choose organic virgin coconut oil. Other types are less expensive but do not work the same because of the lack of important minerals and compounds. Do you use organic coconut oil?
photo credit: Phu Thinh Co