You might buy fresh limes for margaritas or lemons for your famous lemon meringue pie, but get ready to start investing in citrus on a regular basis.
Here are some ways to use this colorful fruit:
- Pile lemons and limes in a large bowl in your kitchen. Itâ€™s a pretty accent and the fruit will add a fresh scent to your home.
- Use a squeezed lemon or lime to freshen your garbage disposal once or twice a week. Just put it down the disposal and run it a few seconds.
- Add a couple of slices of citrus to a coffee cup full of water. Microwave the mixture for a minute or so on high. Allow the cup to sit in the microwave for five minutes and then microwave for another minute. Use a soft cloth to wipe out the microwave â€“ which will be clean and smell great.
- Just put a slice or two of lemon in a cup of water and put in the microwave for 30 seconds on high. Use a cloth to clean dry. You can substitute a tablespoon or so of lemon juice with water.
- Have a stain on your favorite white tablecloth? Add 1 cup of lemon juice to your next load of white laundry and wash as usual. Dry in the sun to see it return to bright white.
- Soothe fire ant bites by rubbing them with a slice of lime.
These are just a fraction of the number of ways that these aromatic fruits can be used in all areas of your house.
photo credit: John Robinson