My birthday was last month, so I got to go out a couple of times without having to take kid-friendly clothing into consideration. I went out with girlfriends, with my husband, and with my sister, and it was so nice to wear white pants, short skirts, and shirts I just don’t feel comfortable in when I’m chasing my kid around.
It got me thinking about what to wear for those special date nights (or nights out with the girls), whenever you can manage to squeeze them in. So what you should have on hand includes:
- White. White, white, white, white, white. Nobody’s going to be wiping spaghetti sauce on your pants. You will have to remember to be careful with the red wine, so if your hands tend to shake when you’re giddy and free, you might want to skip to the next idea.
- Something short. You won’t be running around bent over at the waist if you’re not chasing a kid. Embrace the moment and show off those legs. Chasing the kid almost 24/7 has probably given you a set to be proud of. You don’t have to go out looking like Jennifer Lopez, but something around mid-thigh or just a little lower might be nice for a change.
- Something low-cut or strapless. See the reasoning above. Also take note that you still don’t want to mimic certain pop stars. Don’t pair this with the “something short.” You knew that already, though.
- Hoops, necklaces with thin chains, and/or beaded bracelets. This is especially important if you have a baby, not an older child. Hopefully nobody will be tugging onÃ¢â‚¬â€and breakingÃ¢â‚¬â€your jewelry (or in the case of the earrings, ripping your earlobes).
- Heels. Of course. If you fall down, you’re not going to hurt anyone but yourself. That used to be my main reason not to wear heelsÃ¢â‚¬â€carrying a baby or toddler around. Take every opportunity to pull out all those shoes you abandoned after you got pregnant and choose the pair that makes you feel the sexiest.
Don’t do all of these at once, obviously, but do have a few outfits on standby that play up all your favorite assets. That way, when a family member volunteers to babysit with very little warning, you’ll be ready to go without a crying episode in front of your closet.
Photo credit: Couture Candy