Mother’s Day is right around the corner and I know all of our children are racking their brains to figure out what they can serve us for breakfast in bed. Right? Well, I’m going to make it easy on them.
I found this amazing lavender scone recipe in this month’s issue of Bon Appetit. I can almost taste those warm flaky sweet lavender scones with a cup of warm creamy coffee or a piping hot cup of chai tea latte. Yum. Now that’s how every mother should get to start her Mother’s Day.
- Active: 15 minutes
- Total: 45 minutes (includes baking and cooling time)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour plus more for surface
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender buds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sanding or granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups store-bought lemon curd
Dried lavender buds (culinary lavender) are available at some supermarkets and natural foods stores.
- Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425Â°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk 3 cups flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add butter; rub in with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk 1 cup buttermilk, zest, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until shaggy dough forms.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface; knead until dough forms, about 5 turns. Pat into a 10×6″ rectangle. Halve dough lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 4 squares. Cut each square diagonally in half into 2 triangles. Divide between baking sheets. Brush with 2 Tbsp. buttermilk. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake until scones are golden and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 13â€“15 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool.
Serve warm or at room temperature with lemon curd. Enjoy your Mother’s Day.
What is your perfect Mother’s Day meal?
Photo Source: Bon Appetit