About this time every year we start hearing about the weird food that is supposed to show up at the State Fair in late September. Maybe it is just here in Texas, but some of those foods are pretty strange. Sometimes I wonder if people are eating them because they think they are going to taste good or if they just want to be able to say they ate chicken fried bacon.
Really? Chicken fried bacon? Wouldnâ€™t that be something akin to fried, breaded fat?
Here are some of the totally weird foods that have been served at fairs across the country.
- Chicken Fried Bacon â€“ Oh, you thought I was kidding? This won the best taste award at the Texas State Fair in 2008. We like our chicken fried whatever here in Texas, yâ€™all.
- Krispy Kreme Chicken Sandwich â€“ This bite of weirdness comes from California. Â Imagine a fried chicken patty topped with Swiss cheese between two slices of a Krispy Kreme glazed donut.
- Fried Coca Cola â€“ This one is from Texas, too. Coca Cola batter is deep fried, sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar, drizzled with cola syrup, and then garnished with whipped cream.
- Deep Fried Beer â€“ Hi there. Texas again. These interesting bites are Guinness filled pretzel dough squares that are deep fried.
- Deep Fried Tootsie Roll â€“ I am not sure how I would feel about this â€œtreatâ€ from California.
- Kool-Aid Pickles â€“ Dill pickles are soaked in Kool-Aid. Itâ€™s from North Carolina and maybe itâ€™s just state loyalty, but Iâ€™d rather eat fried beer.
- Deep Fried Salsa â€“ Texas. I wonder if they spoon liquefied tortilla chips over it.
This yearâ€™s entries for the Texas State Fair have recently been announced and I have to tell you, for me itâ€™s a toss-up between Deep Fried Chocolate and Praline Sweet Potato Poppers.
Whatâ€™s the weirdest food youâ€™ve tried? Let me know in the comments below!
photo credit: Kathy