Memorial Day is rolling around and it’s a time to break out our red, white and blue and BBQ. It’s a time for remembering those service members who served the United States valiantly and lost their fight.
We can honor them by spending time with family and friends and treasuring that time. We can do that by enjoying good conversation, lots of laughs and a lovely afternoon in our backyard. Throw in a few quintessential staples and you’ve got a great celebration in the making.
Memorial Day Party Must-Haves
There are a few staples for every Memorial Day gathering and they include:
- Fat juicy burgers & hot dogs. You can sometimes find these pre-made at a local wholesale market. If you’re into organic meat, Fresh Market has a fantastic selection of pre-made combo burgers that include blue-cheese, bacon and cheese and even mushroom and cheese as options. Delish!
- Side dishes that won’t disappoint include: Watermelon, corn-on-the-cob, guacamole and chips, chicken enchilada dip or a 7 layer dip, veggie & fresh fruit platters.
- Red, white and blue cake (Psst – we pinned a couple for you on our Pinterest board)!
- Food screens/tents to keep flys off of the food
- Disposable plates, forks, napkins and cups
- Ice cold beverages Â - beer, soda, lemonade and sweet tea
- Horse-shoe Pit
- Volleyball game
- Sprinkler and kiddie pools
- Oversized water slide for adults and kids
- Sunscreen and towels
- Adirondack chairs for lounging
- Large 9 ft Umbrellas and/or tents for shade
- Old fashion grill with coals make for a tasty grilling experience, but a gas grill does the trick too
- Ice buckets and/or coolers for keeping beverages cool
- Kid Fun: Bubbles, sidewalk chalk, hoola-hoops, jump ropes
- iPod docking station or some other music option
- Tiki torches for parties that last through the evening
Enjoy Memorial Day by keeping it simple with traditional American fare – the lists above are a stepping off point that can (and should) be tweaked to meet your individual interest. But most importantly, make it stress free so you can get to the business of focusing on what’s most important about this day, honoring our fallen while treasuring those we love and hold dear.
What traditional Memorial Day backyard barbecue options am I missing from this list?Â