Summertime means that more of your skin is showing than at any other time of the year. Slathering on sun lotion and body lotion will help a lot, but using this deliciously scented homemade brown sugar scrub will create super smooth, soft skin that smells like cookies.
Use it to exfoliate heels and elbows every couple of days and your whole body twice a week. If you are anything like me you will come out of the bath ready to bake cookies. Itâ€™s easy to make, inexpensive, and it makes great gifts.
Brown Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean split
- 1 cup of almond oil (This is best but you can use other oils that donâ€™t have much of a scent.)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 1 tablespoon honey
- A small, re-sealable jar for storing the mixture
- Add the split vanilla bean to a food processor with about 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar. Pulse until there are no large chunks of vanilla bean.
- Add all the ingredients together and mix with your hands.
- Scoop into the jar and keep near your tub.
- Rub a little of the scrub over your skin when taking a bath or shower. Just a word of warning, the oil in this can make your shower floor really slippery. Be careful!
Everyone likes pretty things. Design a pretty label and add it to the jar, buy a small scoop to keep in the scrub, or add raffia or ribbon for decoration. Youâ€™ll love the way this makes your skin feel.
photo credit: Becky Striepe