Have you ever had a Cuban sandwich? It is amazing; the perfect blend of sweet and savory. It is one of my favorite sandwiches but it’s so filling that I can’t usually finish an entire one.
When I came across this recipe for Cuban Pork Sliders, I was thrilled because not only is it sized for little hands (my children), I won’t have all the waste of a large sandwich. This way I can fill my craving without gorging myself.
With all good things, they come to those who wait so be prepared to put some love and time into these little beauties. I promise you, they will be worth the wait of the cook time.
Cuban Pork Sliders
Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 4 1/4 hours Servings: 12 (2 sliders per serving)
- 4 lbs. boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of fat
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 Teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
- 12 slices swiss cheese, halved
- 3/4 pounds of sliced ham
- 48 dill pickles
- 12 teaspoons of mustard
- 24 small slider rolls
- Put pork in lightly oiled slow cooker. Mix garlic, cumin and oregano. Sprinkle pork with half of the mixture.
- Mix remaining garlic, cumin and oregano with citrus juices and pour into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook pork on low for 4-5 hours, until pork is fork-tender and cooked through. Transfer to cutting board and break into pieces. Skim fat from pot and reserve juices.
- Divide cheese among tops of rolls and broil until melted.
- Layer bottom of rolls with ham and pork . Drizzle with juices.
- Top each with pickles, mustard and tops of rolls.
- Share with loved ones and enjoy.
There is a long cook time but it is well worth the wait. Put the pork in and enjoy the day playing in the yard with your family. Come in and a tasty treat that the entire family will enjoy will await you. Be warned, this will become a family favorite so be prepared to make this quite often.
What’s your favorite slow cooker meal?
Photo Source: FlippinYank