Do you love wine? I am a big fan. I am trying to learn more about wine drinking and enjoying the different kinds of wine. IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m still a novice but I am enjoying the journey.
Of course it would be a lot more fun learning about the different wines if I had someone to share it with, but my husband is allergic to wine. Yes, he is actually allergic to wine. Well, he is actually allergic to the sulfites that are in wine. His eyes get itchy and his breathing gets shallow. ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s not good news.
The first time it happened, it scared us both terribly. Here is some information on wine allergies. ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s always good to be informed in case of an emergency, even a wine emergency.
I had never heard of anyone being allergic to wine before my husband, but apparently it is fairly common. I thought IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢d share a little information on the subject just in case the next time you are entertaining, someone starts to show a reaction to the wine, you will know how to handle it and act accordingly.
Sulfites are antibacterial agents and make good preservatives for wine. Sulfites in wine are usually responsible for such reactions as hives, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, asthma and even anaphylactic shock, which can be fatal. These symptoms can happen to people who are sulfite sensitive.
Other reactions to the sulfites in wine may include flushing of the face, severe respiratory problems, difficulty swallowing, dizziness and inflammation of the skin that may lead to swelling, itching or blistering. The reactions can occur in some people who drink less than a glass. Yes, my husband has one drink and can feel the effects of the sulfites on him.
What Is Sulfite Sensitivity?
The asthmatic symptoms connected to sulfites may range from wheezing to serious reactions, like anaphylactic shock that could be fatal.
The symptoms appear suddenly and may include itching, swelling, a drop in blood pressure and difficulty in breathing. The reactions usually occur while the person is consuming a sulfite-contain product such as wine.
What Causes the Ã¢â‚¬Å“Red-WineÃ¢â‚¬Â Headache?
Headaches, facial flushing, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure and asthma are the most common reactions for people with wine allergies. These effects may be brought on, not only by the sulfites, but also by other additives in the wine.
Some wine manufacturers have changed their process to produce products that may not cause these allergic reactions. Red wine in particular causes the allergic reactions. Sweeter wines tend to have more sulfites to help preserve the sugar content.
Headaches can develop within 15 minutes of drinking wine. I get this, but it’s usually from drinking too much wine, so probably not the same thing.
What Do Histamines have to Do with It?
Sulfites may not be the only culprit in allergic reactions to wine. There are some people who may suffer allergic reactions to the histamines that occur naturally in fermented products.
Does someone you know have a wine or wine related allergy? What do you serve instead to keep your sulfite sensitive friends safe?
Photo Source: Udo Schroter