Sangria is a refreshing summer drink that is traditionally made from wine mixed with a variety of fruit and juice, depending on your personal preferences. It can be made with either white or red wines and often has brandy, Triple Sec, or other liquor added to it.
A little club soda or ginger-ale added just before serving provides an extra sparkle. Using a clear glass pitcher allows guests enjoy the beauty as well as the flavor of the Sangria.
This recipe makes a very sweet Sangria. If you prefer it to be less sweet, you can use club soda instead of the ginger-ale.
Makes 8 servings.
- 9 cups ripe strawberries, washed and crowns removed.
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-750 milliliter bottle of Pinot Grigio wine
- 1 /2 cup Triple Sec
- 2 cups chilled ginger-ale
- 1 orange, sliced thinly
- 1 lime, sliced thinly
- Combine 8 cups of the halved strawberries in a saucepan with the sugar and water. Reserve the remaining 1 cup of berries.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Press the mixture through a sieve or food mill. You will have about 3 cups of syrup.
- Slice the remaining 1 cup of strawberries.
- Stir together the wine, Triple Sec, syrup, and sliced fruit.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- Just before serving stir in the ginger-ale.
- Garnish with orange slices or strawberries.
Serve this at your next barbecue or pool party and watch it disappear.
photo credit: Bastien Deceuninck