Do you buy carpet freshener to keep your house smelling fresh? You can make your own at home and save a ton of money at the grocery store. You probably have most, if not all, of the ingredients in your home right now.
You can find essential oils at most health food stores, natural food stores, or online. There are a variety of scents and it only take a few drops to make the whole house smell great.
Do be careful about vacuuming up the powder â€“ just like with the commercial types of freshener. Any that gets left in your carpet can weaken the fibers over time.
- 2 cups of baking soda
- 1 cup of borax
- 15 drops of tea tree oil
- 15 drops of lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- 5 dried bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon of dried orange peel
- 1 covered container â€“ an old Parmesan cheese shaker or sugar shaker works great.
To make the freshener:
- Place the bay leaves, cinnamon stick, borax, and oils into a blender and blend until everything is powdered and mixed.
- Pour into a large bowl and add the baking soda.
- Mix it up and put it into an airtight container.
Sprinkle on your carpets and allow to stand for 15 to 30 minutes before vacuuming thoroughly.
You can also use other essential oils. The cinnamon, bay leaf, orange peel, and lavender repel bugs of all types. The lavender, lemongrass, and tea tree oils are antibacterial and make the house smell good. You could also use tangerine â€“ a scent that is supposed to cheer people up.
photo credit: Joel Wolf