First Five Things to Do after a Separation
When a separation happens, the pain is so deep that it is tangible. Even if you are breathing a sigh of relief that you are out of an impossible situation, you’re juggling a lot of emotions.
Here are five, totally irreverent things that I think all women should do in the first few days after a separation.
- If he hasn’t taken all of his stuff, set it all out in the front yard. If it’s raining or trash pickup day, so much the better.
- Go and have your hair done by someone really good. Getting a flattering cut and color was the best thing I ever did for my self-esteem. While you are at it, get your nails done, too. I always like to have mine done in bright red.
- Buy a super-cute outfit that you look amazing in. Wear it to the grocery store. If you are brave enough, schedule a boudoir photo shoot. No one needs to see the pictures. You need to begin to see yourself differently.
- Have the locks changed, and if you have a remote controlled gate, change the pass code. I wish I had done this one thing. It seemed like every time I came home after church, there was something else missing. It’s also a good idea to immediately open a bank account that he can’t touch. If your name is on any of his credit cards as a signer, have it removed. If you have jointly owned credit cards call and have the accounts closed for use. Anything your name is on, you can be held responsible for.
- Talk to a lawyer. I did my own divorce, and there are plenty of things I would have wanted done differently had I known.
If you’ve been through this, do you have any survival tips? Let us know in the comments below!