The weather has started to warm, the kids are getting out to play more and I don’t know about you, but in our neighborhood, that usually results in the parents coming out to chat as well.
Those chats, if on a Friday night, turn into happy hour which turn into impromptu barbecues where we all throw together what we have in our fridge or freezer to make it all work.
It’s how we spent most of last summer while watching the kids ride their bikes around the cul-de-sac and jump on the trampoline. So, this year, with spring in full swing and summer upon me, I’ve decided to stock a few things in advance of our impromptu gatherings in the neighborhood.
- Drinks on IceÂ - A few cases of beer, kids drinks and water will be on hand at all times. We don’t have an extra fridge, but one of the neighbors goes this route and they always have a healthy stash on hand. Regardless, having extra beverages is a good plan if you like to have a last minute gathering with friends.
- Kid EntertainmentÂ - Bubbles, sidewalk chalk, hoola hoops, slip and slides, sprinklers, plenty of sunscreen and a few new movies for when the sun goes down are all on my summer fun list for those multi-family last minute get-togethers.
- Bubba Burgers and Hot Dogs with BunsÂ - Bubba Burgers are the best frozen burger on the market. They can be taken directly from the freezer and thrown on the grill and they always taste great. We’ve tried other versions that were slightly cheaper but they didn’t measure up on taste. Add in a few extra buns thrown into the deep freezer and they can be toasted up quickly for use last minute. Hot dogs for the kids are easy to boil from frozen as needed.
- Velveeta, Rotel and Black Bean & Garlic Tortilla ChipsÂ - The perfect combination for a queso dip to munch on and it can be all easily stocked in advance for those last minute summer soirees with friends.
- iPod Docking Station -Â Music is a MUST when hanging with friends. The docking station is a great way to accomplish this and it’s not too imposing on your neighbors with the noise level for those who aren’t partaking in the festivities.
- Plastic Adirondack Chairs & Shade Umbrella with BaseÂ - These are light and portable, so when you’re going from house to house you can transport them easily. The Adirondack chairs are comfy yet sturdy and easy to keep clean after bad weather passes through or if there is a spill. They have a wide arm base which is perfect for setting a frosty beverage on top, too…..priorities people.
What are your go-to last minute entertaining essentials?Â