Does your family like pasta? My family is crazy for noodles. I know, carbs are bad for you, but if you use them in moderation and mix in lots of healthy veggies, they are wonderful.
Here is one of the recipes I use for lasagna in our house. It is pretty basic but it is very filling and no one ever leaves the table unsatisfied when I make this recipe.
Prep time: 30 minutesÂ Cook time : 60 minutes
- 3 medium eggplants (trimmed and sliced lengthwise)
- 2 pounds browned ground beef ( or ground chicken for a healthier version)
- 12 oz. fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups ricotta
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 1 package whole wheat no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- Heat broiler. Coat eggplant slices with olive oil spray. Arrange in single layer on baking sheet and broil 6 inches from heat until browned (about 4 minutes). Flip and broil other side until tender and browned (3 minutes).
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In large skillet, brown ground beef, season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Set aside.
- In large skillet coated with olive oil, over medium heat, saute mushrooms for about 7 minutes. Reduce heat and add minced garlic and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- In bowl, combine ricotta, egg whites and egg.
- In 13×9 baking dish, spread 1 cup of marinara sauce. Then layer 5 noodles, then half the ricotta, then eggplant, then add the mushroom, then ground beef and Â¾ cup of mozzarella. Repeat.
- Cover with foil. Bake 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until sauce is bubbly and cheese is golden, 15-20 more minutes. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a Caesar salad and garlic bread. Enjoy.
What is your favorite recipe to make for dinner?