Buckingham Palace turned pink to kick off October and Breast Cancer Action Month. At 7:00 pm, the international landmark did the unthinkable – or maybe thatâ€™s un-PINKable – and was bathed in a soft, lipstick pink light. Special pink cocktails were served at a launch party to keep the pink theme going â€“ and there is even a Pink Pinterest page devoted to the occasion.
Buckingham PalaceÂ wasn’tÂ the only London landmark to think Pink. Others included HMS Belfast, Somerset House, and Heron Tower. Actually, landmarks across the world are flushing pink this month to raise the awareness for breast cancer and research. In the United States, this included the Empire State Building, Los Angeles International Air Port, and Freedom Tower at Miami Dade College.
Yes, it is a gorgeous and outrageously brilliant idea, but itâ€™s also a great way to be inspired for your own pink parties this month. Look, any excuse will do for a party and this is a particularly good excuse. You know the statistics, right?
- Raise awareness and funds by having guests drop a few dollars in a pink container to be donated for research.
- Bathe your house in pink light.
- Serve all pink foods and pink cocktails.
- Have each guest wear something pink.
- Decorate with pink roses, pink gerberas, etc.
- Use pink plates.
- Have the Pink Panther movie (or cartoon) playing in the background with the sound off.
There are hundreds of things you can do in order to bring attention to Pink October. While little things may seem silly, when they are all added up, every small thing makes a big difference.
photo credit: Nadya Peek