We use all kinds of excuses to get out of having sex; from being too tired and having a headache to being able to hear your children in the next room, or just simply knowing that they’re there can completely kill the mood.
But, did you know that there are some amazing health benefits to be gained from getting naked with your partner? Here are nine reasons to do “it” tonight, or at least ponder…
1. A long-term study of 3,500 people between the ages of 30 and 101 found that regular sex may shave between four and seven years off your physical appearance.
2. Never mind that you skipped your workout; on average, sex burns about five calories per minute, depending upon your weight. Even engaging in a deep long kiss can boost your heart rate, which in turn increases your body’s caloric burn.
3. Kick your immune system into high gear with bi-weekly sex sessions. Researchers at Wilkes University found that having sex once or twice a week boosts the immune system. They found a 30 percent increase in immunoglobulin A (IgA) proteins in people who had sex once or twice a week, compared to those who didnâ€™t have sex.
4. A recent study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology found that erectile dysfunction (ED) is often an early indicator of declining cardiovascular health. Researchers followed more than 2,300 men for an average of four years and found that men with ED had a 58 percent greater risk of coronary heart disease.
5. Another study shows that men who reported having three or more orgasms per week experienced 50 percent fewer heart attacks and strokes as compared with those who had less frequent orgasms. Sex may help the heart because orgasm triggers the release of the hormone DHEA, which helps with circulation and arterial dilation.
6. Regular sex may even add years to your life. A study published in the British Medical Journal found that men who had sex less than once per month were twice as likely to die in the next 10 years than those who had sex once per week. And guys aren’t the only ones to benefit. Researchers at Duke University found that women who claimed to enjoy their sex lives lived seven to eight years longer than women who were indifferent to sex. Beats wrinkle cream in my book!
7. Research shows that intercourse can lessen the aches and pains associated with menstrual cramps, while also helping to regulate a womanâ€™s monthly cycle due to the increase in the hormone oxytocin in your system during lovemaking.
8. The heightened level of oxytocin also helps you sleep better. Getting enough sleep is an important part of your overall health, so if you’re having trouble sleeping, try a romp in the hay before hitting the hay.
9. This may not be a miraculous medical discovery, but happy women are often the most sexually active! In a recent study of 4,000 American women, those who had the lowest stress and best overall mental well-being were those who were the most sexually active. They also had the most sexual interest.
So, bottom line? No more excuses!
Photo credit: loop_oh