I keep my kids on a pretty tight schedule when it comes to eating lunch and dinner and taking naps. One thing I’m probably too lax about? Breakfast. Usually they wake up and want to run out and play, and the last thing they want is to wait for me to make toast, bacon, and eggs. With my son starting preschool next month, I’m really trying to get more disciplined about when and what they eat for breakfast.
Here are some really quick, yummy breakfast ideas that your kids will love. Some of them can even be made in advance so that you can save time on your morning routine!
How about a yummy fruit and granola parfait? This is a super quick make-ahead breakfast that packs in everything you need to get the day started right: fiber-packed granola, antioxidants from mixed berries, and the calcium benefits of low-fat yogurt. It’s delicious, and so easy to make. And when I serve it in a clear plastic cup so the kids can see the layers? Well they think it’s a treat!
Bacon and Egg Pitas
Another huge hit in my house. This recipe was sent to me by a friend. You can make them the night before and just reheat in the microwave and it tastes just as yummy!
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/3 cupsÃ‚Â fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped broccoli
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 4 whole-wheat pitas, cut in half
1. Heat oven to 350Ã‚Â°F. Coat a 2-quart square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, flour, salt, and pepper until smooth. Stir in cheese, broccoli, and bacon. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the center is just set. Remove and cool for 10 minutes. Cut into triangles and serve in pita halves, or refrigerate, covered, and reheat the next morning in the microwave.
Bite Size Quiches
So yummy and easy to make! Make two batches at once because they freeze well and reheat easily in the microwave in 20-30 seconds!
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢1 cup liquid egg substitute orÃ‚Â egg whites – OR -Ã‚Â Ã‚Â 4 large eggs
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢Two largeÃ‚Â handfuls ofÃ‚Â fresh spinach, chopped
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢1/4 cup diced bellÃ‚Â peppers (color of your choice)
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢3 sliced green onions
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢2 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢Dash of hot pepper sauce
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢Salt to taste
1. Heat oven to 350F
2. Spray the muffin tin cups with the cooking spray (do thisÃ‚Â or else the quiches will stick to the baking cups and it will be a mess, trust me).
3. Mix the spinach, eggs or egg substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, hot pepper sauce, salt in a bowl.
5. Fill the muffin tin cups with the mixture.
6. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. They are done when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Although not as good if you don’t make them fresh, you could definitely make the eggs in advance.
Stuff a whole wheat tortilla rich in fiber (at least 5Ã‚Â grams), with cheese, eggs, sausage or ham, and whatever veggies your little ones eat.
My kids love dip…so dipping fruit into 1/4Ã‚Â cup plain yogurt makes them feel like they are eating a snack instead of breakfast!