Finally have a chance to drop the kids off at their grandma’s house because the budget won’t allow for paying a babysitter and going out? No worries. You don’t have to spend a ton to have a good time.
Maybe getting creative will add an extra spark because it’ll remind you of your broke college years:
1. If the kids are going to be spending the night at grandma’s house and you don’t have to go get them until later in the afternoon, save the going out part for the next morning. Go to a movie matinee and pay less for your tickets, or just go to your favorite brunch spot for some stuffed French toast and coffee.
Stay in the night before and just enjoy each other’s company, catch up on what’s been in your DVR queue for weeks, whatever you want. Because you can. And it’s been a while.
2. If you both like art, attend a painting class where you can bring your own wine. Follow it up by a long moonlit walk. Or try a cooking class together. Learn a sexy dance like the salsa. Or go rock climbing if there’s an affordable one in your area.
Make it less expensive by keeping your eye on sites like Groupon or Living SocialÂ and plan ahead. Whatever the two of you enjoy but can never do together because it isn’t kid-friendly, well, now’s your chance. Just make sure you fit in some alone time before or after you attend the class.
3. Picnic. Or if you’re adventurous, camp out under the stars (in your back yard or at a camp site). Don’t forget any special touches you might want to add to make it special for your significant other.
4. Check out a coffee shop or frozen yogurt spot for free entertainment. You may discover a new favorite singer, a poet you like, etc.
Similarly, you could eat at home and go out to a bar that offers entertainment (a piano bar with a comic twist or karaoke, for example) and have a couple of drinks.
5. Wander around in a bookstore. You know all those books you really want to check out in more detail but can’t because someone’s always tugging on your arm to go to the bathroom or go play at the train table? Take time to see which ones you really want.
Buy one, then if you’re lucky enough to be in a store with a cafÃ© inside (or right next door), cozy up inside with a cup of coffee or tea.
You don’t have to spend a lot to have a fantastic night. Just get creative, do things out of order, and think of what you did pre-kids for ideas. Don’t forget to plan ahead so you’re not stuck wasting precious time on coming up with an idea.
Photo credit: Hamed Masoumi